‘Cachalot’ didn’t come out last year, and there’s plenty of weed on her hull so we booked her out for a week at Larkman’s Boatyard, Melton.
The tides dictate we’re to arrive at 1430 and, as Bev arrives in the car, Steve’s not there. He was stuck on the mud at Melton Boatyard . . . a little late, but never mind, she’s taken out and moved to a sheltered spot at the back of the yard. Shelter that is from the wind rather than sunshine! There certainly was a good crop of weed as she was washed down and the anode had done its job, being only half the size of the new one.
Steve had asked James to take a look at the notorious leaky seam whilst we went home for a couple of days. The bilge pump had been going off pretty frequently since January. After raking out the seam and going for a cuppa, James returned to find water pouring out of the hull, even though she’d been out of the water for 24 hours! Some further inspection found the cause. The water pump was cracked and leaking, triggering the bilge pump so often during the spring! Still, it’s always worth recaulking that seam.
Steve set to work applying two coats of antifoul, two coats of paint to the topsides and even had time to rub down and varnish the capping rail. She was lifted back into the water on Friday 2 June. As part of her domestic/quartermaster chores (preferring not to paint or antifoul), Bev had driven to Trimley to get a new water pump, so that needs fitting before we refill the water tank. Some plywood has also been purchased ready to finish the back stands for the bunks. There’s still a few more bits of ‘fitting out’ to be completed before we set out for the Suffolk Yacht Harbour Classics Regatta at Levington next week.