Steve returns to Suffolk in the van on 12 October to be sure we’re ready for Ratsey & Lapthorn on Monday. It’s the Harwich Shanty Festival at the weekend, so Bev drives down in the car after the gasfitters have been. To make sure there’s good access for measuring, Steve moves the boat round to the long pontoon by the travel hoist on Monday, and we wait for Andy and Steve. The weather is good, if a little windy at times, and they leave with all the necessary notes to make the sails over the winter. Feels like a really big milestone.
There’s been a great deal of thought about how to be sure the boat is secure for the winter, and doesn’t cause too much worry as we’re so far away. The decision is made to store her ashore at the Tidemill. So, as Andy and Steve leave she’s lifted out again in the travel hoist and taken up to her winter quarters. We take home as much as possible for storage and leave her tucked up ashore, looking forward to a trip to Spain and Portugal. Three days later, Brittany Ferries phone to inform us that due to the hurricanes in the Bay of Biscay, our ferry is cancelled. We depart from Plymouth instead a couple of days late - pleased to have missed the full Biscay experience!