Posts Tagged: Lloyds Register

1956 – 1991: the missing years and living aboard

Apart from entries in the Certificate of British Registry and Lloyds Register of Yachts, we know virtually nothing about ‘Cachalot’ from when she was left in the Mediterranean by the Brigadier in 1956 and 1974 when she came into the hands of Jenny and Ian Kiloh. She had several owners during this period including Hugh Ian Gibson, a Solicitor from London; Norman Frank Dixon, MBE, from Maldon, Essex; David Garber, a London Company Director; Cecil David Richardson, a Maldon Company Director; David Robertson Hiner a Property and Structural Surveyor from Maldon; Thomas Alexander Corbett, a schoolmaster from Hockley, Essex and Andrew Ross Wheatley a yacht broker in Wivenhoe.

In the OGA Newsletter, 1977, the Editor muses. “In the earlier 1960s a good looking 30′ cutter’s hull sat up at the top of Dixon Kerly’s yard at Maldon, quietly drying out and deteriorating. Occasionally there was evidence that some work had been done on her, and in 1965 her then owner, David Garber was persuaded to join the OGA, and we looked forward to seeing her sailing. But it was not to be. In 1969 she was bought by David Robertson Hiner of Maldon, and things happened. David got her into sailing trim, and in 1970 he entered her for our East Coast Race, but she did not start. On the 16th September that year, David sold her to Thomas Alexander Corbett, who owned her until the 9th February 1975, when she was sold to Andrew Ross Wheatley. On November 25th 1975, Ian Frederick Kiloh bought her from Wheatley.”

The 1963 Lloyds Register of Yachts lists a different engine: 2 cylinder, 8.5hp, Lister Blackstone 61.

Cachalot at sea by Tom Cunliffe

‘Cachalot’ takes part in the ADLS ‘Return to Dunkirk’, 1990 (photo: Tom Cunliffe)

Jenny and Ian Kiloh spent many years restoring ‘Cachalot’ and researching some of her history. They lived aboard from the mid-1970s in Brightlingsea, Essex, moving to Heybridge Basin and Suffolk Yacht Harbour, Levington.

‘Cachalot’ had a Yanmar 16hp diesel engine installed and took part in the 1990 ‘Return to Dunkirk’ before being sold to Julia Webb and Martin Davy in July 1991, who also used ‘Cachalot’ as a live aboard.

Edward Elwyn Nott-Bower, OBE, MC, Brigadier

Book jacket 'Ten Ton Travel'

Published by John Murray, London, 1950

During the summer of 1948, the recently retired Brigadier was just completing his first sea voyage on the gaff-rigged cutter ‘Smew’. The voyage is brought vividly to life in his book ‘Ten Ton Travel’, published by John Murray in 1950. According to the Certificate of British Registry and Lloyds Register of Yachts, the Brigadier owned Cachalot from 1951 – 1957. He purchased her with funds from the insurance claim after the loss of ‘Smew’ off the west coast of Ireland.

From their home in Devon, the Brigadier, his wife Angela and children Colin and Jill sailed ‘Cachalot’ on extended voyages including the Channel Islands, Ireland, West coast of Scotland, Caledonian Canal to Inverness, the Scilly Isles, Coast of Brittany and via the River Gironde and Canal du Midi into the Mediterranean. The Brigadier wrote an article for ‘Yachting Monthly’ in October 1955 describing his last voyage in ‘Cachalot’, leaving her in Andraitx, Majorca.

1936 – 1951: the war years and beyond

'Cachalot' is asked to trice up the mainsail by Tom Cunliffe

‘Cachalot’ is asked to trice up the mainsail during the ‘Return to Dunkirk’, 1990. Photo: Tom Cunliffe

There are two references to ‘Cachalot’ in the Lloyds Register of Yachts (1936). One is the well-known ketch built in Brixham the previous year, the other is a steel-hulled vessel from 1911. Neither being our ‘Cachalot’, we now turn to her Certificate of British Registry. The hardcover ‘blue book’ unfolds to reveal handwritten records from 1936 to 1991.

‘Cachalot’ was owned by two stock brokers; Herbert Charles Norton: Stock Jobber from Amersham, Bucks., and Hugh Leycester Bedwell: Stock Broker from Warwick Square, London from 1936 and, it seems, during the war years. These same two owners are listed in the Lloyds Register of Yachts (1937-39), along with reference to a petrol engine, Stuart Turner, 2 cylinder.

‘Cachalot’ is a member of the Dunkirk Little Ships Association and listed amongst the vessels requisitioned to assist in the evacuation of Dunkirk. She has taken part in events run by the ADLS, including the 1990 ‘Return to Dunkirk’.

The next entry in the Certificate of British Registry is dated November 1948. Kenneth Albert Harwood: Opthalmic Optician and Neauer Messinger: Shopkeeper, both of Guildford, Surrey are listed as joint owners from November 1948 until Brigadier Edward Elwyn Nott-Bower purchased her in 1951. These two owners are also listed in the Lloyds Register of Yachts (1949-51).

Two lady owners and an engine installed


Certificate of British Registry: 1936

Between 1928 and 1931, two ladies are listed as owners in the Lloyds Register of Yachts: Mrs Ellen Margaret Stubbs of Leigh-on-Sea and Mrs Florence E Oliver of Coventry.

There is no record for ‘Cachalot’ in the Lloyds Register of Yachts between 1932 and 1936. The first entry in the Certificate of British Registry lists Jesse Frank Collier, Master Builder from Worthing, Sussex as the owner in 1936.

The Certificate also refers to an auxiliary petrol internal combustion engine, 1934, Stuart Turner, 2 cylinder, 6hp. We assume this to be her first auxiliary engine.

Early years: 1897 – 1922

This advertisement appeared in the ‘For Sale’ column of ‘The Yachtsman’, October 1897. From 1900 until 1905, Lloyds Register of Yachts lists two owners for ‘Cachalot’: R C Boothby of Sydenham, London and W A Fraser, also of London. ‘Cachalot’ did not have an engine at this time and was registered at Shoreham, London.

'Cachalot' B E Dunbar Kilburn, 1907

‘Cachalot’ B E Dunbar Kilburn, 1907

In a letter written to Jenny Kiloh by Katharine Smith in 1990, she talks about her father buying ‘Cachalot’ in about 1907 and selling her in about 1922. According to the letter, Katharine’s father lived in London at the time (she was not born until 1912), and kept the boat at Fambridge on the River Crouch, Suffolk in the care of a local man named Ernie Flick. ‘Cachalot’ was known as the ‘full-rigged ship’ as her father frequently used a large tops’l.

Based on entries in the Lloyds Register of Yachts, and correspondence via email, we discovered that Katharine’s father was B E Dunbar Kilburn, listed as owning ‘Cachalot’ between 1906 and 1927. He lived in Hyde Park, London and was a member of sailing clubs in Fambridge and Mersea.

Cachalot was registered in Ipswich.